The first telephone service in Hammond was provided in 1895 by American Telegraph and Telephone Service which ran wires from Hammond to Chippewa Bay. In 1904, W.T. Stiles leased the Chippewa lines and in March of that year expanded with new lines and telephones, thus Citizens Telephone Company was founded. In 1912, a twelve-line switchboard was installed which was used until 1957 when the dial system was placed into operation.
Donald and Patricia Ceresoli purchased Citizens Telephone in August 1968 and later purchased Macomb Telephone Company in 1973, which nearly doubled their subscriber base. Over the years in an effort to provide exceptional service, the Ceresoli family expanded the business into other areas.
Currently Citizens Telephone has grown to over 1,800 subscribers.